My 5 Favorite Natural Alternatives for Colds

Everywhere I turn someone is sick with the flu or has a cough they can't get rid of. It's that time of year when germs seem to enter our front door and never want to leave. This is my first winter with a baby so it's all new to me and I wanted to share what I've learned so far!

We were visiting family last weekend and Luca started having a runny nose and seemed fairly congested. My mama's heart broke. Seeing your baby sick is SO sad. I immediately got my natural tools out (I don't travel without the basics!!) and it didn't take long before we noticed a significant difference.

It's important to note he wasn't ''magically'' better after 30 minutes or something. His little body had a lot to work through, but the 5 things I'm about to talk about below really helped him fight off the germs!

This also applies to older kids AND adults (I'm currently not feeling 100% and using these same tools for myself). Especially with all the media coverage surrounding the coronavirus, we can ALL benefit from these natural alternatives.

I personally am not afraid of the coronavirus because I know I am doing everything I can to better my family's health, so I want to share that with others to help bring down the level of fear that seems to be so tangible these days.

Okay enough about all of that, here are my 5 favorite natural alternatives for helping fight off seasonal colds for babies, children, and adults. I'm limiting myself at 5, but there's SO many more.

#1 Thieves Hand Sanitizer

We ALL need hand sanitizer in our diaper bag or purse when we go out, but here's why you need THIEVES hand sanitizer. There is a difference my friend.

Traditional hand sanitizer (like Purell, for example) contains isopropanol, which is an alcohol. It is what I like to refer to as ''flammable poison''. It should NOT be something we are slathering all over our hands.

People might argue, ''well it's not like I'm ingesting it'' to what I would say ''you might as well be''! I've said this before and I'll say it again, but your skin is your body's largest organ. Everything that you put on your skin ends up in your body. It's SO scary!! That includes the alcohol found in conventional hand sanitizers.

The uniqueness of Thieves Hand Sanitizer is that it is 65% alcohol that has been denatured with peppermint oil making it completely safe to use. This is also what contributes to it being moisturizing and not drying on your hands.

I struggle with eczema and my hands are an area of my body that is often very very dry and I have had no issues at all using Thieves Hand Sanitizer!

Another difference is that Purell kills everything. The bad bacteria as well as the good bacteria. Thieves Hand Sanitizer doesn't affect your healthy microbiome. It leaves a protective coating to help what is to come and it addresses what's already there.

Thieves Hand Sanitizer is approved by Health Canada (Natural Health Product) and it kills 99.99% of germs and bacteria! It truly is THE. BEST.

#2 Seedlings Baby Wipes


These Lavender Baby Wipes have SO many good uses! Other than wiping your baby's butt that is. I always find my nose gets red and dry when I'm sick because I'm constantly blowing my nose. As an adult, that's something I can deal with AND I did not want my baby to have the same thing.

SO I've been using my Seedlings baby wipes on his little nose which has been so helpful in cleaning up the crusty boogers. Not that he likes it, but it works great! I do try to minimize our waste on a daily basis so I would usually use a baby facecloth, but sometimes a wet wipe is just what you need to clean up the sticky mess!

#3 Ningxia Red

There are SO many benefits to regularly taking Ningxia Red, but I'm just going to name a few. First of all, what the heck is Ningxia Red?? Well, I'm glad you asked!

Ningxia Red is a drink made with wolfberry that is the most nutrient-dense superfood out there (according to ORAC)! It is also the highest known antioxidant food.  Ningxia Red is amazing for your skin and eye health as well as your entire body! Chinese Olympic athletes use it as there ''secret weapon''. I'm telling you, Ningxia Red is a complete mineral POWERHOUSE!

I could go on and on, but just know that Ningxia Red has SO many incredible benefits for your body!

#4 Essential Oils (!!!) 

I could go on for an entire blog post on just what essential oils I use when we are feeling under-the-weather. Or even as a preventative measure all year round! I'll give you the two main ones I used with Luca this time though and if you'd like more info, please ASK! :)

So the first one I used a lot with him is R.C. He had a pretty bad cough the first day and was super congested. I applied R.C. regularly and he has only coughed a couple times since that first day. He is also a lot less congested than he was.

I've been using our snot sucker as well and the combination of all of it has worked great!



The second oil I've been using with him is DiGize, which I was already using regularly, but amped it up a bit after the diarrhea started. He's had on and off days with this, but overall his belly isn't bothering him and his bowel movements seem to be going back to normal! DiGize for the win!!

Those are just two little examples but keep in mind, there are SO many!!

#5 Diffusers

We have been using our diffusers constantly, which we do on a regular basis, but I've been choosing specific oils like Thieves, Lemon, R.C, Eucalyptus, and Lavender just to name a few. Those are all Natural Health Products for helping with symptoms of coughs and colds.

Now about diffusers... I only use Young Living diffusers because of the quality! When I'm diffusing my pure therapeutic grade essential oil, I don't want to lose any of the therapeutic benefit in the diffuser itself.

My diffusers are all humidifiers and atomizers, so 3-in-1's you could say! This helps our bodies absorb the oil that is being diffused. All of my diffusers are made with high-grade plastic, so it cannot be broken down by the essential oil.

You can get cute little diffusers anywhere nowadays, but the quality isn't the same. With a cheaper diffuser, the plastic is not going to be high-grade, meaning the essential oil will break down the plastic over time. The end result being diffused essential oils along with chemicals from the plastic. NOT what you're going for when you want to use a therapeutic grade essential oil. 

So there you have it! My 5 favorite things to use when there is any type of sickness in our house. Like I said previously, there is SO much more I could add to this, but my purpose here isn't to overwhelm you!

Any questions or comments are welcome down below!! :)

Never forget, I'm always ready to help when you are ready to get started on Y O U R health and wellness journey!

Comments

Popular Posts