Easy DIY Laundry Soap

Have you ever checked what ingredients are in the laundry detergent you buy?

There is some pretty scary stuff in there. Aside from the fragrance/perfumes, there are a lot of ingredients that just don't sit well with me.

I have sensitive skin and honestly, I think we all do to a certain extent. Our skin is our body's largest organ... We HAVE to consider what we put on it every single day.

Did you know that the average woman applies 300 chemicals a day to her body through soaps, makeup, shampoo and hair care products? That's INSANE if you ask me.

Plus on top of that, we are cleaning our houses and our clothes with more toxic synthetics! Fragrance alone, which is in EVERYTHING you buy... Trust me, check your labels at home, can contain 3,000 different synthetic ingredients.

This is a huge problem. Laundry detergent is just one product, BUT it is a good start. That's why I want to share this with you.

Now, just a quick note. If you cloth diaper, this laundry soap recipe is NOT recommended for cloth diapers. It's simply not strong enough to remove human waste (blog post coming soon on how to safely and effectively wash cloth diapers).

Okay, let's get into the reason why you clicked on this post in the first place! This DIY Laundry Soap recipe is as easy as it gets. With only 4 ingredients, you can't beat that!!

So first let me give you the recipe and then I'll break it down step-by-step for you.

Easy DIY Laundry Soap:

7 L Hot Water
1 cup Castile Soap (unscented; I use Dr. Bronners)
1 cup Baking Soda (aluminum free; I got mine at Bulk Barn)
1/3 cup Coarse Sea Salts (I got these at the grocery store)


You'll also need a bucket to make it in and some kind of large spoon to mix. As you can see, I didn't have an old bucket at home to use so I just went to Walmart and bought this one for $5.

The spoon is not pictured here, but I just use a plastic baking spoon and I keep it with my laundry soap so I can mix it before every use.

First step: Pour 4 litres of hot water into your bucket. I simply use water from the tap because it gets really hot. If yours doesn't get hot enough, or you're unsure, you can always use a kettle.

Second step: Pour castile soap, baking soda, and sea salts into the bucket and mix well.

Third step: Pour the remaining 3 litres of hot water into your bucket and keep stirring. Make sure the laundry soap is mixed well.

Forth step: You're ready to use your DIY laundry soap! Time to clean some clothes! Just note, I use about 1/4 cup per load in my HE (high efficiency) Top Load Washer. I would double the amount if your washer is not HE.

That's it! Like I said, super simple and basic. I love this soap. We have been using it for almost 2 years now and I will never use anything else (except for cloth diapers). This even works great on our towels and sheets. It's truly amazing!

This is just one of my favorite DIYs I use for my family! What other DIYs do you make or would like to make? Let me know in the comments! I'd love to hear from you! 

Comments

Popular Posts