DIY Hair Gel

The last time I straightened my
hair!
Ps. That's my maman and I <3 
Having curly hair is NO JOKE let me tell ya. I spent most of my early teenage years straightening (aka frying) my hair because I hated my curls. More so, I just didn't know how to manage them!

After much trial and error, I found Herbal Essence hair gel that I instantly fell in love with. This was all fine and dandy at the time until I started looking at ingredient labels.

The last ingredient on the label is Fragrance/Parfum, in which that ONE word can contain dozens of unknown chemicals. I believe it's also one of the main reasons why my scalp was so itchy. 

As I have been making some changes in my home and ditching and switching all of our products, I have had THE hardest time with my hair gel. I tried a couple different ones, homemade and store-bought, with no luck.

The thing I liked so much about my old hair gel is how strong of a hold it had because my hair is a lion's mane and it NEEDS some strong hold!

I tried making a homemade gel with gelatin and had no luck. I also recently tried the Shea Moisture Curling Gel Soufflé and my hair did not fair well. It dried my curls out and made my hair frizzy... NOT what I was going for. Haha!

I just recently found Everyone Style Hair Gel and it has been AH-mazing! It feels more like a curl cream than a gel, but paired with my Shea Moisture Curling Gel Soufflé, it works like a charm!

It takes so much trial and error to find a good combination so please know you are not alone in this process! It sounds silly, but it can be very tiring, frustrating, and not to mention, expensive!!

Now... I also wanted to try making flax seed hair gel, which is what this blog post is all about. Just to make a note, I haven't had the chance to use it much, so I will add in what my experience is with it after a month or so of using it daily.

I have to say though, it was SUPER easy to make! Here's how I did it!

Easy DIY Hair Gel:

2 cups Water
2 tbsp Brown Whole Flax Seeds
6 drops Lavender Essential Oil
6 drops Cedarwood Essential Oil
6 drops Rosemary Essential Oil

Step 1: Boil the water and flax seeds for around 5-10 minutes. You will notice your water starting to get frothy and the gel begins to form. Note that the consistency is still pretty runny (more so, than what I expected).

NOTE: It takes a few tries to get the timing down, so just remember that when you are trying it for the first time.

Step 2: Remove the water and flax seeds from the heat and strain it through a metal mesh strainer.

Step 3: Allow to cool.

Step 4: Add in your essential oils and seal the gel in a glass container in the fridge.

NOTE: the essential oils are optional!

Step 5: Shake before use. Add to wet hair and style as needed!

See? I told you... SUPER easy!! I love a good DIY! Now, go my curly-haired friends, and make yourself some amazing toxin-free hair gel! :)

Comments

Popular Posts