My Birth Story

I don't know about you, but I LOVE reading birth stories. It's so cool how different and beautiful each one is. They are all such special unique stories. Gah. I just love it. So here you have it.. My birth story!
Photo: @kaleighbettyphotography
Overalls: @a.w.handmade 

On Monday May 20th, I started feeling what I would call Braxton Hicks. These contractions were not regular and at first I wasn't really sure what they were, since it was the first time I was feeling them. AND I was only feeling them in my back, which now makes sense because that's the only place I ever felt my contractions throughout my entire labor.

The next day I went to work (I was still having these irregular contractions) and tried to focus on what I was doing. Thankfully, the girl who I was training was there, and she didn't really need me much. I also had a couple appointments so I was in and out most of the day.

On Wednesday I woke up feeling pretty bad, so I decided to stay home from work. I kept Dan, my mom, and his mom updated throughout the day, but I remember around lunch time things started to shift a little bit. I decided I better start timing my contractions so I could keep track. They still weren't super regular, but I would say they were consistent and they were more painful than the previous day. I had appointments at the hospital on Thursday morning so we stayed home that night knowing I wasn't in active labor just yet.

Thursday morning (after my mom drove 7 hours through the night.. that's a determined grandparent-to-be if you ask me!!), my mom arrived around 9 am and we loaded up the car with everything (just in case this was real) and headed to the hospital for my appointments. This is where it gets interesting!!

At 10 am we saw our little boy on an ultrasound because they wanted to see how big he was since I was measuring a little small. He was SO cute! I remember thinking.. AHH I can't wait to hold him! The technician told us how low he was already (which I already knew.. hello 126 bathroom trips a day! HA!), so we knew it wouldn't be too much longer. Then we headed upstairs for my second appointment.

I should insert here that I had low platelets during my pregnancy with Luca, so I was doing what is called IVIG. It's basically an IV full of immunoglobulin that I got weekly towards the end to attempt to increase my platelet levels. That Thursday was my 3rd round of IVIG.

After my appointments it was around 2 pm. I was still having contractions, but they weren't regular and I didn't think they would admit me at this time. I suggested to Dan and my mom that we go home and go for a walk instead. They insisted I at least stop by the maternity wing to see if they would check me. It took awhile, but around 3:50 pm I was checked by the doctor (after he talked about inducing me in a couple of days.. HAHA) and I was 3 cm dilated and 100% effaced. He was ready to come out!! So they got a room ready for me and just before we were moved my water broke! It was just like in the movies too!! A big gush!
Right after I was told I was in LABOR!! 
That's when things got intense real fast! I was able to stand during the first half, which I'm so grateful for. Like I said earlier, I only experienced back labor (he was ''sunny-side up'') so standing and leaning over the bed provided a lot of relief that first hour and a half. Because I had low platelets I was unable to get an epidural. I had a dream of doing it all natural and I was aware that things don't always go the way you want them to go when you're having a baby. With the help of my amazing husband, my mom, the nurses and the birth affirmations I had written down on cue cards I was able to do it without an epidural or pain management medications. I also couldn't have a c-section because my numbers were so bad that day, soo all things considered, I was VERY determined to do it all natural!!

After about 1.5 hours, they checked me and I was 5-6 cm dilated. After that point I layed on my side  until I was ready to push. Another 1.5 hours later and I was fully dilated and ready to push! After about 10-15 minutes, the doctor said that because of Luca's position he would need to do an episiotomy. After another 30 or so minutes of pushing, at 8:08 pm, out came our precious little Luca. I know every parent says this, but he was absolutely PERFECT in every way!


Meeting our baby for the first time 
Considering the seriousness of my low platelets, I was (and still am!!) SO thankful with how things turned out that day. In an emergency situation they would have put me to sleep in order to perform a c-section safely and I did not want to miss those first precious moments right after my baby was born. Thankfully, that did not happen!

So that's the end of my birth story! I now have a happy and healthy 7 month old baby boy and I still can't believe he's really here some days. Motherhood is such an amazing journey. We'll talk more about that in the next little bit, but for now leave me a comment below! Do you enjoy reading birth stories as much as I do? What's your beautiful unique story?
First family picture! 

Comments

  1. I didn’t realize your platelets were low! So glad that everything worked out so well girl!
    I was put under completely for Jackson’s birth since the epidural wasn’t working for me anymore and his head was too big �� but I didn’t feel upset about it. It is what it is. Just thankful he made it here safe and sound ☺️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing you're story!! It's true.. If I would have been in a similar situation I would have been okay with it. In the moment you want baby out as safely as possible. The fact that I had weeks to think about the possibility of that happening leading up to giving birth did not help! So thankful for that too! He's so precious!

      Delete
  2. Enjoying your blog, keep it coming Meghan. xo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts