Cloth Diapering a Small Baby

Before we even started thinking of having kids, I knew I wanted to cloth diaper. I obviously LOVE the cute prints and patterns, but I was also drawn to the environmental aspect of it. As you know by now, I love to use natural products and good clean disposable diapers are quite pricey; therefore, going the cloth diapering route was another way to avoid going broke or using diapers I was trying to avoid.

Being the researcher that I am, as soon as I learned about cloth diapers, I started reading blogs and checking out all the different styles. I also made lists.. A LOT of lists. It is somewhat difficult to choose what style(s) you want to try because not all styles work for all babies. That's why I want to specifically talk to you about the Rumparooz Newborn Diaper Cover!

At 5 days old, I put Luca in his very first cloth diaper! We chose to start off using newborn prefolds and covers and that worked really well for us. Note, I will do a separate post on the pros and cons of each type of cloth diaper. Because he was such a small skinny baby, I really wanted to try the Rumparooz cover. I read a lot about how good they are on skinny babies versus chunkier babies.

Luca's very first cloth diaper! 5 days old
The Preemie/Newborn Rumparooz Diaper Cover is for babies 4-12 lbs. Luca was probably in the high 5's in the picture on the left. It looked really big on him, but there were absolutely no leg gaps.. Thanks to the AMAZING double gussets! His legs were very skinny at this age! There are also elastics on the back and the front to avoid leaks and blowouts. I immediately fell in love with this cover. The only ''con'' I could come up with is that it is a little wide so it makes for a bulkier diaper on a small baby. Having said that, I still LOVE this cover and also purchased a one-size Rumparooz Diaper Cover that we currently use for overnight and it works great!

You can see in the pictures below how the same cover fit him at 3 months old and 7 months old (he currently still wears it!!). He would've been around 11 lbs at 3 months and he is 14 lbs now so depending on the baby, this cover can fit beyond the 12 lbs that they advertise! This makes it a really affordable cover, which makes this mama very happy! :)

Do you cloth diaper? What's your favorite diaper/cover?

3 months old
7 months old

Comments

Popular Posts