5 Types of Cloth Diapers

Choosing which type of cloth diapers best suits your baby and family can be a challenge. I want this information to help you make the best decision and keep in mind that every baby is different!

This information is based on my experience with my 8 month old son. He is also a very small little guy, which does affect what diapers work best for us. So just keep that in mind as you are reading along! Let's get right to it! 

#1 Fitted Diapers

This diaper is made of bamboo and it has snaps on the sides to allow for easy and convenient diaper changes.
Mother-ease Sandy's Fitted Cloth Diaper

I REALLY wanted to love these, but they just didn't work for us.

Cloth diapering a boy versus a girl is not the same. I think that fitted diapers would work better for a girl or maybe a boy that isn't a heavy wetter.

I say that because when a boy pees, it is very localized up front.

I read a lot about these diapers being good for overnight, but even with an added booster, it did not last us the night. I also don't really like the fit of the diaper, which could be because I have a small baby.

I would love to try this diaper on a girl and/or a chunkier baby!

#2 All-in-one Diapers


This type of diaper is also really convenient. I like to keep mine in my diaper bag as a backup when we are out. It is quick and simple to use. I also like this type for when other people are changing my baby.

I don't like how they are less customizable, meaning my baby needs a lot of absorbency right upfront, which is hard to get with an all-in-one diaper.

Tots Bots All-in-one Diaper
We experienced a lot of leaks because of this, so like I said, I still like using it when we are out and about. I just change him as soon as we get home into a diaper that I ''trust'' more.

This type of diaper also takes a long time to dry because it is recommended to line dry the cover. Since it's all attached, you line dry the entire diaper, which is why it takes so long.

The specific one that we have also took a long time to fit him properly, although I really love how the velcro can overlap across his tiny belly!

#3 Pocket Diapers

 These seem to be the most popular type of diaper out there. They were the ones I noticed people using the most when I was doing my research before Luca was born.

Left: AMP Pocket Diaper
Right: Applecheek Pocket Diaper
I didn't like them right away because they didn't fit my small baby properly. Now that he has grown into them, I really like them! This also depends on what brand you are using.

The first one I tried was the AMP One-size Pocket Diaper, which I really like. The leg gussets are really tight so we were able to prevent leaks.

We also have Applecheek Pocket Diapers! The sizing is a little different with these ones. They have size 1 and size 2, but there are no rise snaps, which makes them less adjustable.

Left: AMP Pocket Diaper 
Right: Applecheek Pocket Diaper
Having said that, once they fit him properly I fell in love! Prior to them fitting correctly we were experiencing a lot of leaks, especially with the explosive exclusively-breastfed-poop (EBF) he had.

I also really love the fleece barrier that is right against his skin. It wick's the moisture away helping prevent rashes, which I love! And so does his sensitive skin!

Now they they fit well and that his poops are solid, I would say this is my favorite type of cloth diapers!

#4 All-in-2 Diapers

Funky Fluff  LUX Diapers
I only tried the Funky Fluff diapers in this style and they simply are not my go-to's. I use these as my back-ups on laundry day or if I know I need to change him again (before bed for example) within the next hour.

They are harder to customize and they simply don't fit him the greatest. It is better now that he's bigger, but at first, he leaked a lot.

Osocozy Infant and Premium
size prefolds
Snappi 
I also find these hard to customize the absorbency for, which is difficult with my heavy-wetting boy.

The one thing I do like about this type is how convenient they are! And they dry a little quicker than the all-in-ones.

#5 Prefolds & Covers

These are my FAV.

They are easily customizable with different folds depending on if you have a boy or girl. You can also add boosters if you need to.

Rumparooz Diaper Cover
They are great if you are on a tight budget because you can re-use the cover by just wiping it down (as long as there's no poop on it). So I started out with 27 newborn prefolds and only 7 covers!!

They dry super quickly because the prefold can go in the dryer and the cover has no extra material on it, so it takes no time at all.

Infant Prefold with Snappi
We also never (except maybe once or twice?) experienced any leaks. Most covers have double gussets around the legs, which really prevents leaks. They are also amazing for those tiny newborn legs.
Rumparooz Diaper Cover +
Infant Prefold 

Luca fit into his newborn Rumparooz cover when he was only 5 days old and somewhere around 6 lbs! It looked huge on him, but man was it ever cute!!

They can be inconvenient for a family member or babysitter to use because it takes some time to get the folds down pat. It can also take some more time when changing your baby's diaper, especially when you're first learning.

Rumparooz Cover with
Infant Prefold
As you can see in the pictures, you can use your prefolds in different ways as well. You can fold it in three and lay it in your diaper cover (or use it as an insert in a pocket diaper) or you can attach it to your baby with a snappi.

So there you have it! 5 different types of cloth diapers!

In the end of the day, I think it's important to try all of them or more than one at least. You may be surprised which one you like best!

Happy cloth diapering! :) 

Comments

Popular Posts